At Holy Cross, our academic mission is to cultivate a challenging learning environment grounded in Christian values and Catholic traditions that empowers our students to engage in a lifetime of learning; service and citizenship; challenges them to become leaders in our global society; and encourages them to share the message of God.
Holy Cross School is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Virginia Catholic Education Association (VCEA) and the Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (CASI). Every teacher adheres to the requirements of the Virginia Department of Education in addition to the Diocese of Richmond certification requirements.
Why Holy Cross School?
- Welcoming of all faiths for 136 years as the region’s longest continuously operating school.
- Grounded in the proven Catholic education tradition that “raises up” young people who want to make a difference in the world around them.
- Rigorous classroom experience leads to 100% college acceptances… year after year!
- Small class sizes allow for individualized attention by our faculty.
- Focus on critical thinking and problem-solving skills from PreK-12th grade.
- Our standardized tests scores are very impressive and consistently above average. Holy Cross students score in the top percentile in all areas, but we do not “teach to the test.”
- Our learning is complemented through the arts – band, chorus, theatre, orchestra.
- Extracurricular, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), and athletic opportunities for all of our students.
- We offer dual enrollment opportunities through Lynchburg College and Central Virginia Community College. Many Holy Cross seniors graduate with enough credits to enter college as second semester freshmen
- We offer advanced placement courses in History, Government, Math and English.
- Experiential education is a part of our curriculum! Our school community is involved in many service projects and assistance campaigns culminating thousands of hours of volunteer time.
- Nurturing the best in each individual student through thought-provoking curriculum, complemented through hands-on learning.